Of all the countries to write a blog about, I never thought I would be typing up an article regarding activities in North Korea. The state is renowned as being highly secretive and most reports originating from the country should be taken with a pinch of salt.
So imagine my surprise when the Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) stated that archaeologists had found a "unicorn lair" in the country's capital city, Pyongyang.
As I said, pinch of salt.
Allegedly, King Tongmyong founded the now extinct Koguryo Kingdom and used one of these mythical animals as his steed. The report, on the KCNA website, states archaeologists had "recently reconfirmed" the home of his unicorn.
The article reads, "The lair is located 200 meters from the Yongmyong Temple in Moran Hill in Pyongyang City. A rectangular rock carved with words "Unicorn Lair" stands in front of the lair."
Many people would argue 2012 has been a great year for equestrianism. If researchers actually proved the existence of these mythical creatures, it would be a truly monumental way for it to end. Alas, the story appears to be the result of a translation error. Consequently, I doubt I will get to ride a unicorn any time soon.
However, if this fantastical claim turns out to be true, then I will wholeheartedly apologise, strap on my riding hat, and aim to make Pyongyang my next tourist destination.
Photo © Rob Boudon via Flickr under Creative Commons Licence
Labels: equestrianism, KCNA, King Tongmyong, Korean Central News Agency, North Korea, Pyongyang, riding hat, steed, unicorn
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]
Post a Comment